Tibet Visa – Tibet Travel Permits

Following are the most important documents that you need to have if you are planning to visit Tibet.

  • China visa or Tibet Group visa:
    You can get Chinese visa from the Chinese embassy or Chinese consulate in your area. If you are planning to enter Tibet from Nepal, then you must attain your Tibet Visa from Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu. It normally takes 3 working days to process your visa, from the date of submission. Please refer to the chart below for visa charges.
  • Tibet Travel Permit:
    In order for you to enter Tibet region, you must have a Tibet Travel Permit. This document is issued by Tibet Tourism Bureau. You should at least submit the application for Tibet Travel Permit 15 days prior to your travel date. Once you confirm your trip, the authority will ask you to send clear scanned copy or photo of your passport and your Chinese visa. You can obtain your Tibet Travel Permit from tour agencies in Nepal except for diplomats, journalists, and government officials. You need to book a tour for the same. Be aware of travel agencies who offer you travel permit without booking tour package, it could be a scam.
  • Alien’s Travel Permit (also called PSB permit):
    You need this type of Tibet Travel Permit to visit restricted areas in Tibet. It is issued by Public Security Bureau and you can obtain it from the tour operators. You only need one Alien’s Travel Permit for one group of travelers.
  • Military Permit, Foreign-affairs permit and other permits:
    You need Military Permit and Foreign-Affairs Permit for sensitive border areas like Mt. Kailash and Eastern Tibet. You need a special permit for Tholing and Tsaparang in Western Tibet, you can get it from Cultural Antiquities Department. Military Permit is issued by troop and Foreign-Affairs Permit by Foreign Affairs office in Lhasa. It takes 10-15 working days to obtain all permits.